In 1959, Fr Peter O’Reilly O Praem, Fr John Reynolds O Praem and Fr Stephen Cooney O Praem travelled to Western Australia from Kilnacrott in Ireland, with the intention of establish a boys boarding school in York. Although this did not eventuate, the Norbertines have maintained a presence in the York parish to this day.
In 1964, Archbishop Prendiville invited the Norbertine Canons to establish a boys school in Queens Park. St Norbert College was officially blessed by the Rt Rev F C Colwell O Praem, Abbot of Kilnacrott, on 7 February 1965. In that year, less than thirty students were enrolled in one Year 6 class.
The College expanded by one class each year until 1971 when the students of the first class began their Leaving Certificate examinations. By this time, enrolments in Lower Secondary necessitated double streaming of classes. The College enrolled boys only until 1976 when co-education was introduced. Initially girls were enrolled at the Year 8 level, bringing the total number of students to more than 340.
Staffing patterns have reflected the changing nature of enrolments at the College. In 1966, two Norbertines formed the staff with Father Anderson as Headmaster. In the 2005, there were 50 teaching staff supported by 22 administrative and maintenance staff.
On 1 August 2008 the Catholic Education Commission of Western Australia (CECWA) approved the extension of enrolment parameters for the College. In 2010 the College enrolled students in Year 7 once again.
Currently there are approximately 65 teaching staff, 37 administration and maintenance staff serving 900 boys and girls - a remarkable tribute to the vision and hard work of the founding members of the College.